Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Surprise Agent Invasion #50


Title: UNFINISHED BUSINESS
Genre:  YA romance
Word Count: 63,000 words 

Query:

The movie Ghost meets a retelling of Snow White in this YA contemporary romance with a supernatural twist.

After causing the accident that killed her boyfriend, Brendan, seventeen-year-old Noelle is stuck dealing with the fallout. Blacklisted at school, unable to confide in her mother who ships her to shrinks, she’s afraid she’ll never find peace and doesn’t really think she deserves it. But when she meets Cameron, she begins to believe in second chances. Falling for him should be enough to bring about theme songs and happily-ever-afters. Instead, Brendan’s voice invades her dreams, and apples—a symbol of their most private romantic moment—start appearing everywhere and begin to push her over the edge. Not sure if she’s going crazy with guilt or if it really is Brendan’s jealous ghost seeking revenge from the afterlife, she’s not giving up without a fight. But one mistake-a bite from an apple-could cost her not only Cameron, but also her life. And this time, it will take more than a kiss to survive.

First 250:

Day 439 began with an aberration: a smile. Not the placating one reserved for Mom. The one that lied and said the day was a seven because anything below a six led to shrink visits. Not the indifferent one I gave my so-called friends who had abandoned me after the accident. And not even the almost-smile I gave Cam. The one he always saw through. No, today, as I looked in the mirror, I saw something real. It started from deep inside my chest and pushed my cheeks right up to my eyes.

Mom noticed the minute I came downstairs. “Have you been drinking?”

“Vodka is the breakfast of champions.” Or maybe just drunks.

“Noelle.” Her fingers inched toward the phone.

“Mom,” I said. “Relax. I’m kidding.” The fact I made a joke at all was enough reason to elicit concern. “See. Look.” I closed my eyes, stood on one foot, and pointed to my nose. “I’ll even walk a straight line.”

As she hugged me, I remembered why I didn’t smile--too encouraging. The mother of the before-Noelle would have threatened to take away privileges for talking back. This version was grateful I spoke at all. “Do you have plans after school?” Mom asked.

Of course, I had no intention of going to school, but Mom didn’t need to know that. “Just going to Cam’s.” I braced myself for the argument.

“His parents?”

The horn beeped.

“Full supervision.” I wasn’t sure if this was the truth or not.

4 comments:

  1. Really intriguing! Smooth writing, likeable main character, good dialogue. But it sounds like she already has met Cameron in this opening 250? So we wouldn't get to see their developing relationship? Or is this not really the opening page? It would definitely be more interesting to watch their relationship unfold rather than step into it midstream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Author, I'd like to request a full manuscript on this book. Can you forward via Word doc attachment with a full synopsis? Email is editorial at talcottnotch dot net. Thanks! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see some of this too. Please send query, synopsis, and full manuscript to ESubmissions (at) SarahJaneFreymann (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to take a look at this. I'm a sucker for fairy tale re-imaginings!

    I will email you with more information and submission instructions.

    Best regards,
    Patricia E. Riley
    Associate Editor, Spencer Hill Press

    ReplyDelete