Monday, March 5, 2012

What this blog is all about...

Now that it's calmed down a bit I thought I might post some of my thoughts on why I started this blog and my plans for it.

First, I want you to know that I don't want you to think of this as MY blog as much as OUR blog. I'm not here to talk about my life, my weekend, my pets, or even my writing. That's why I have my own author blog. The whole point of this is to bring writers and agents together in hopes of bringing offers and eventually publishing contracts. I really want all writers and agents to feel comfortable here!! I'm just here to do the grungy (not so fun) work and offer the rules (much more fun).

So, are there going to be a lot of ridiculously fun contests? Yes! Will it be strictly contests? No.

What else will there be?

Hmmm....

Hard to say for sure, but this is what I'm thinking:

1. Inspirational success stories (not just from this blog)
2. Posts and discussions on great new books and why they were agent-worthy
3. A place to swap great writer resources (websites, blogs, conferences...)
4. Author/Agent interviews
5. Q&As of all kinds

Basically, anything that helps writers improve their writing/knowledge in a very non-teachy sort of way.

Now, when it comes to CONTESTS...

Will they all be fun? I certainly hope so! Most of the time I want everyone to come here ready to play! What does that mean? During the contests the focus is NOT the critique. (Do I hear whining or cheering? I can't tell.) Does that mean we will NEVER focus on critique? No, sometimes we will. But most of these contests are supposed to be fun, competitive, and exciting. This doesn't mean you won't learn anything along the way. I must admit when I was entering contests, I learned WAY MORE from reading the other entries (especially those that were strong and successful) than I did from the critique. Why? At first, when I was less confident, I listened to every single nitpicky critique and obsessed over it to the point I lost MY VOICE. This doesn't mean critique doesn't help. It does. But you've got to learn to filter, because everyone can tell the same story in a different way. That doesn't mean each way can't be great.

Another reason I don't want to focus on the critique is because there are already SO MANY great resources where you can find this. Grab some critique partners, go check out places like Query Tracker, participate in another awesome blog contest that does focus on the critique, or there is the awesome WriteOnCon.

Bottom line, during most of my contests, I want that critiquing to have already happened. I want your already strong, worked-over a million times work. This way we can offer advice in the comments section, but also just relax, have fun, and offer support. Okay, maybe not relax, right?

So, what's coming up??????

Sometime around the end of March I'm starting a contest called...wait for it... "SURPRISE AGENT INVASION!" I do hope it will be as exciting as it sounds, but I won't lie, it's a bit of an experiment, so we'll see.

Also, there are plans for a multi-blog contest called "THE WRITERS VOICE" brewing for May. It's going to epic, so stay posted!

29 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cupid, you are awesome.

    Nuff said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got me hooked:) Lovin' the blog and lovin' you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing, Cupid. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how do we read about your life, your weekend, your pets, or even your writing??? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job, Cupid. And just so you know, the last contest (the Blind Speed Dating) was very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OutFreakinStanding!

    *breathe, breathe, must control hyperventilation*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds awesome!! I have been loving this blog so far, and I can't wait to love what's coming next :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds exciting! I love our blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun! I look forward to it! I love what you said about when you were not as confident and how you listened to every nit-picky thing anyone said about your work. So true. Thanks for not making it about critiquing. Because honestly, if people are told they should critique, they will look for something to comment on. Even if there's nothing there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our blog is sounding very cool to me too! Thanks so much for starting this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though I wasn't a part of the Blind Speed Dating contest (unfortunately), it was so much fun to follow. I really learned a lot from reading the other queries and noting which queries the agents were interested in. I look forward to reading and learning more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! And thanks for the advice. I think I will go mad during the editing and querying process. 'Have fun'- okay...I will try my best :)

    And I agree completely about learning from others. I have been stalking every blog contest for over a month, reading and taking notes. I should be ready to play by the end of March. FINALLY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoot whoot! Thanks so much for this site! Its super appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's wonderful that you are willing to put in so much work to help out other writers. And we definitely appreciate it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Why? At first, when I was less confident, I listened to every single nitpicky critique and obsessed over it to the point I lost MY VOICE."

    All I can say is a big ole YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! And maybe a little amen. Thank you for all the work you do, both inspirational and perspirational :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so grateful that you do this!! The time and energy you must expend are all above and beyond...Thank you sooo much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've already got me totally sold - our blog is fantastic, and thanks so much for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for starting this. I'm excited (and anxious) to see how many connections were made from the Blind Speed Dating, and in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Cupid! Looking forward to all the good fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you offer an alternative to what's already out there. This is a fresh opportunity the writing community is grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 2. Posts and discussions on great new books and why they were agent-worthy

    I would love to see more of this topic--the why a book is agent-worthy. As aspiring authors we wonder sometimes how/why certain books get published. This would be a great opportunity to learn from those books the things we can use to improve our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking forward to hearing more about your new concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really love this blog you've set up, Cupid! Looking forward to all of your fabulous posts and contests!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my first time coming to your blog and I'm already in love with it. I agree with the rest and add my giant thank you on top of theirs. I look forward to being challenged in the very near future and taking the "Surprise Agent Invasion" experimental plunge right along with everyone else brave enough to dive right in.

    ReplyDelete