Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Surprise Agent Invasion #27

Title: HOLLY HEARTS HOLLYWOOD
Genre: YA Humor/Romance

Word Count: 50,000




Query:



There’s nothing worse than being told you aren’t good enough. Seventeen-year-old Holly Hart knows that first hand. Holly has just moved to Los Angeles from her small hometown of Cedar Junction only to hear what she’s already been told before: she’s too fat and ugly to be a famous singer. Shell Shocked Records is ready to look past Holly’s plus-sized figure and less-than-graceful-personality and offer her a strange recording contract in which Holly would do all of the singing, but a thinner and more beautiful girl, Lacey, would lip-synch and get all of the credit. 
 

Contractually bound to secrecy, Holly is more than happy to sit backstage while Lacey shimmies in the limelight and basks in the fame. Before she knows it, Holly is friends with Ruby, the daughter of a music-mogul, flirting with her hot tutor, and developing a strange half-friendship with the seemingly bi-polar Lacey. Suddenly, Grayson Frost, the biggest pop-star in America, and coincidentally, Holly’s junior high bully and the cause of her insecurities, starts to date Lacey. Holly does everything she can to avoid Grayson in hopes that he won’t recognize her and torment her, but it’s really hard to do that when you’re on a national tour with the guy.

Through a series of embarrassing and weird events, Holly gets to know Grayson and learns that he is much nicer and more mature than he was four years ago. Holly is horrified when she starts falling in love with Grayson. Then, because being plus-sized in a size zero world wasn’t hard enough, Grayson admits to Holly that he loves Lacey because of her singing voice. What is a girl to do when she can’t legally tell the truth at the moment when the truth matters the most?

HOLLY HEARTS HOLLYWOOD is the first novel in a trilogy and is a diary format retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID.

First 250:

I don’t even know what I am supposed to write in this thing. I’ve never kept a journal before. My life has never been interesting enough to document on a daily basis. No one, not even me, would want to read a day-by-day account of Holly Hart’s misadventures in high school. What would that even look like? Today nearly everyone ignored me, including my own friends. But on the bright side, my mom consented to ordering take-out instead of forcing her experimental cooking on us. Yeah. Right. I am oh-so-fascinating.

I picked this journal up in the airport gift shop because my life might actually start to be interesting, for a change. Well, that and the fact that it’s super pretty with its leather cover and gold-edged pages. I still don’t know what to write. Is there some kind of journal fact sheet I need to fill out? Holly Hart: Aged seventeen, hay blonde hair, blue eyes, five foot five, one hundred and seventy five pounds, avid collector of stamps, vintage coke bottles, etcetera, suffers from misplaced sarcasm and negativity.

But my sarcasm and negativity is not misplaced this time, oh no. Only a few weeks into my senior year and my mom has just packed up my family and moved—to Los Angeles! This is like the plot for some horrible made-for-TV movie, the exact kind of movie I love to hate. Honestly, is there anything more fun than sitting down with a bowl of popcorn, putting on a terrible movie and then making fun of it mercilessly?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! Please send the first three chapters to query@psliterary.com with the subject heading: Cupid's Literary Connection: Holly Hearts Hollywood.

    Thanks! Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the concept for this book, with your main character being the voice behind a teen sensation. What a conflict she's faced with! She can't tell anyone the truth without ruining her career.

    The opening, though, had a few first-time author errors. It doesn't begin with anything gripping. You're opening with 'dear journal, I have nothing to write because my life is boring'. What motivation is there to keep reading?

    Then the main character lists her physical features. This is a weak way for us to get an idea of what she looks like. It feels like you're trying to get that nasty ol' task out of the way early and the easiest way possible!

    Start instead with action and dialogue (or texts, or a phone call, something), give us something that would really make us want to keep reading.

    I hope my comments make sense. I think you could have a lot of fun with this plot. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Novels told through journal entries/letters are not usually my favorite but I like that this isn't the usual big-girl-gets-a-makeover-and-gets-revenge-on-the-people-who-teased her storyline. I'd love to take a look at a bit more... please send me the 1st 50 pages + synopsis hardcopy. My mailing address is on my website, www.bradfordlit.com

    ReplyDelete