Monday, January 7, 2013

Bouncer Interview with MarcyKate Connolly!


Let me introduce Bouncer, MarcyKate! Guys, MarcyKate amazes me more and more the more I get to know her. She was one of my first writer spotlights and her entry for MONSTROUS was on my "The Writer's Voice" team last summer. She blew me away with her query and first five, and it was obvious she was an extremely talented writer, and it wasn't much later she ended up signing with the amazing Suzie Townsend. And yes, MONSTROUS sold and will be published for us all to read! Yay! (More info below)


(photo credit: Cheryl Colombo © 2012)




Hi, MarcyKate! Please share a little about yourself:

I'm an author and arts administrator living in New England with my husband and pugs. I'm also a coffee addict, voracious reader, and recurring commuter. I occasionally blog at From the Write Angle and volunteer as a moderator at AgentQueryConnect.com. In other fun facts, I wrote an opera as the equivalent of a senior thesis in college, and I have minor obsessions with Depeche Mode, Tim Curry, and the color blue.

Now tell us a little about your book(s) or what you like to write:

Monstrous is an Upper MG Fantasy that's Frankenstein meets the Brothers Grimm in an original fairytale, and will be out from HarperCollins Children's Books Summer 2014. I also write YA novels about cyborgs and magic-wielding assassins (though not in the same books generally ;P)

What MUST we read? And what's in your TBR pile?

Oh, that's a tough one. Recently, the best books I've read last year were SHADOW AND BONE, FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS, and SERAPHINA. There are many others I loved, but those three are of the variety that I just want to by a hundred copies and shove them at people on the street.

My TBR pile is....staggering. Some highlights: FALSE MEMORY, BLACKBRINGER, THE THIEF, DIVERGENT, ALTERED, CREWEL, ORIGIN, and SPLINTERED.

What are those crumbs around your computer? And what is that music I hear?

Ahhhh, you caught me. I'm a sucker for cookies. And cheesecake. Yeah those crumbs are definitely from something sweet.

The music, well that depends on which project I'm working on. Monstrous gets Delerium. My cyborg novel gets a Pandora station with a mix of bands like The Donnas, The Dollyrots, Paramore, etc. My YA fantasy gets Muse. Basically whichever music fits the tone of the novel and draws me back to the world of the novel.

Is it all about the pants or all about the outline? 

I'm a huge fan of outlines! I rarely write in a linear fashion, so having a detailed outline allows me to jump around in the story and not get completely confused ;P This is one of many reasons I love Scrivener - it's very useful when outlining!

Any words of wisdom for our brave contest entrants? 

Even if you don’t get into the agent round, don’t despair. You tried your best and that’s a brave thing to put your work out there. Keep writing, keep revising, and keep trying!

Now give up your guilty pleasure!

Frozen Cadbury creme eggs. Also, white chocolate raspberry mochas.

***

Thank you, MarcyKate!!!!!!

Thank you for reading! Please leave any comments/questions below.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment