Monday, February 13, 2012

Bouncer Post #88


Title: HOW TO DATE A NERD
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Word Count: 61,000

Query:

Zoe has a great pair of legs, perky boobs, and wears exactly what she needs to show it all off. She works hard for the easy sleezy ‘you only wish you were me’ reputation, burying who she really is—an all-out nerd.

The only time Zoe gets to be herself is when she hides under her comforter to read X-Men comics, sending jealousy stabs at everyone who attends Comic-Con. Keeping up her popular rep is too important, and she’s so damn insecure to care about the consequences. But when Zoe gets plastered one night, almost stumbling into her first sexual experience with a guy twice her age, she realizes just how much her fake identity could hurt not only her, but everyone she cares about—including her next door neighbor Zak.

Zak’s a geek to the core, shunned by everyone in school for playing Dungeons and Dragons at lunch and wearing “Use the Force” t-shirts. But he knows Zoe—the real Zoe. She’s drawn to him, only feeling happy when she’s by his side. Only Zak doesn’t want fake Zoe. He wants nerdy Zoe.

She has to shove her insecurities and the fear of dropping a few rungs on the social ladder aside to prove to Zak who she really is and who she wants to be… if she can figure it out herself.

First 250:

Rules of keeping up your popular rep: 

Number one, the shorter the skirt, the better.

Number two, natural hair color is a thing of the past.

Number three, high heels are an extension of your foot. To go without them would be like losing a toe.

Number four, guys are disposable, and should never be used more than once or for an extended period of time.

And number five, never ever reveal you collect Star Wars memorabilia, you know every line to Lord of the Rings, and you actually know the birthdates of all the Harry Potter cast members.

Yeah. I’m a total closeted nerd.

I'm not cool with pity glares in the hallways, painful jabs, and permanent scars. No thanks. It's much easier to keep my true nature hidden beneath layers of eyeliner, skimpy outfits, and even I must admit to myself, a rockin’ body. Though the push up bras tend to do most of the work.

Welcome to high school. Where everyone tries to be someone else.

Well… everyone except Zak.

Zakary Gibbons is my next door neighbor. I blame him for my extreme nerdy behavior. He was the one to introduce me to the awesomeness of the Elvish Language, the hidden mysteries of World of Warcraft, and the magical world that lies beyond Platform 9 ¾. And for some strange reason, when we reached the age of fifteen, he didn’t understand that being accepted into the right cliques in high school was the most important thing.

33 comments:

  1. I love this voice! Great query and 250. I want to read more. Gimme more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love Zoe and Zak and this beginning captures this book so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bow to you Cassie, your voice is just incredible and I'm honoured that I got to read this :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can you not love this voice? I want to read more! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your voice is awesome, jumps out and grabs the reader :) Zak and Zoe's story is so fun to read! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read this beginning before and thought it was awesome, and now reading it again.. the awesomeness stands. I agree, you have a great voice.... Zak and Zoe sound quite the pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. I'm conjuring up images of Jennifer Garner in 13 Going on 30 and Taylor Swift videos. Love the idea of coming out of the nerd closet. "You're in!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wowza. That's quite the compliment. Those girls rock! Thanks so much! Yay!

      Delete
  8. Yay!!! Congrats girlie!!!

    Zak and Zoe on to the next :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, you nail voice! Congrats woman!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great query and great voice. Seems like a real twist to have the hot girl be the closet nerd. My only criticism would be that she needs to be more aware of the pathetic focus on popularity. When she says "it's the most important thing" it makes me feel she is as bad as all that and that would stop me from reading. She needs some awareness that no, it's not and short skirts don't mean your popular - just available to be used and made as disposable to the guys as they are to her. But, great and genuine sounding voice for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading your query before and falling in love with Zoe and Zak. Still awesome! Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for your awesome kind words and feedback. Love you all for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bouncer Bookish HandygirlFebruary 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

    Love the voice! Definitely in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really impressive Cassie. Zoe has a great voice.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  15. This rocks Cassie :) I'm not surprised you are in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks guys! Lovin' the support from all my peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much voice in this query - and I think I know you ;) Good luck on your "dates."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bouncer Dorothy!

      But I gotta say, I'm a little paranoid now... you know me?? *checks out the blinds* ;)

      Delete
  18. Cassie!! This story just screams fun!! I'm so excited you're in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this when you entered it last time and I love it even more now. While not normally my genre, I'd read this in a snap. Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like such a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job!! I can't wait to get my hands on this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay guys, I love you! Fist and chest bumps all around!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the voice, the humor, the romance! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very fun premise! I'm glad the other bouncers have ushered you in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a lot of fun, Cassie Mae! Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What fun! A nerd coming-out-of-the-closet story! I'm lovin' it!! :) And you have a great voice.

    Good luck on your dates!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds so fun! Just from the query alone I NEED to read this. You have a fabulous voice I fell in love with in the first paragraph! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete