Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Love Triangle Entry #13

Title: THE NIGHT WE SAID YES
Genre: YA contemporary romance
Word count: 51,000

Query:

Ella Rhodes had a plan. A really good plan. Get over the ex-boyfriend who dumped her in the most ridiculous way ever. Graduate high school without any more distractions. Move away from boring Orlando where she’s lived her entire life. But Matt – the bespectacled bass player who just moved into town? Yeah, Matt was definitely not part of the plan. Neither was attending a party that was crashed by the cops within moments of their arrival. Neither was spending an entire night saying yes to every ridiculous thing they could come up with, including (but not limited to) breaking and entering, going partially-clothed skinny dipping, and playing the most awesome rock show ever.  

But here’s the thing – sweet, thoughtful, kind Matt, who got Ella to get over one of her biggest fears, moved away, leaving her alone and completely derailed from her plan. Her really good plan. So when he shows up a year later looking to reconnect, and, in a way, reenact the original night that brought them together, she finds herself saying yes. Because when fate hands you a second chance, you just have to grab it, right? But is Ella ready to accept Matt back into her life just as she started to tape together a new future?

Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the night Ella and Matt first met and the night they reunite, THE NIGHT WE SAID YES is a love story that questions if second chances are possible and if the future is something we can design.  

I’m a librarian by day, young adult reader and writer by night. I’ve published numerous freelance articles in local publications, such as the Orlando Sentinel and Florida Libraries. For two years I was a full-time staff writer and Assistant Managing Editor for Florida Monthlymagazine, where, along with writing articles, I co-wrote and edited a book chronicling the Mariel Boatlift. 

First 250:

NOW

Meg is in front of my house in 10 minutes and 27 seconds.
            
“You’re late,” I joke, sinking into her car’s leather seats.
            
“Shut up,” she smiles. “You ready?”
            
“I am,” I answer, somewhat honestly.

“It’ll be fun, I promise.” Her blonde hair is tossed over her shoulder, perfectly flipped as if she styled it to stay there.  She knows I’m not much of a partier, so she’s clearly trying to be as enthusiastic about this as possible. Of course it’s working.

“I just hope there’s a bounce house again,” I murmur, crossing my arms over my chest. She grins, knowing she won, and pulls the car out of the driveway. I watch the streetlights pass the car and illuminate our drive, guiding our path. It’s silent out, a normal Friday night. Most families are tucked away asleep, but we’re just heading out, ready to start our night. As we approach UCF, the quiet streets get louder, more crowded. Cars honk, voices yell. College students aching to stretch their legs – and livers – are out in full swing.

We were in the area just a week earlier for our high school graduation. Our graduating class was so large the ceremony had to be hosted at the university’s basketball arena. It was kind of neat going there, actually – more adult-feeling than the cafeteria, at least. As we sat waiting for our names to be called, many of my classmates looked around, taking in their future campus, Meg included. I, on the other hand, had nothing to get attached to; I’m moving four hours north to attend Florida State University.

8 comments:

  1. This story has a fun, "anything can happen" feel to it so far and I like that it's a love story about second chances. It seems unique in a YA world full of tales about love that's yet to be discovered. Color me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the title and the concept--I'd keep reading after these 250 words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great voice in your query! Wonderful beginning, I'd keep reading too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so cute! I'm singing Katie Perry's Friday Night as I read your query. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love the idea of "The Night We Said Yes" - and the idea of second chances, trying to recapture the past. This sounds fresh, honest, and exciting. Definitely would love to know what happens next!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a good job with Ella's voice in the query. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always get sucked into teenage girl convos. haha This sounds like such a fun story. I recently read DITCHED and this has a similar feel. Not storylline, feel. I loved DITCHED. This is a good thing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I actually just requested DITCHED from the library earlier this week. I read the synopsis and fell in love. And thank you for doing this contest! It's been a PHENOMENAL experience - seeing what attracts agents, and how other queries are written.

      Delete