Friday, January 18, 2013

Conference Appointment with Pam van Hylckama Vlieg!!

Please find general information on the conference here.

Pam van Hylckama Vlieg (Larsen Pomada Literary Agents)

Interests: "High concept young adult in any genre. Middle grade in these genres: fantasy, science fiction, dystopian, paranormal, literary. Romance in these categories: historical, fantasy, and erotica. New genres:
 commercial science fiction, fantasy, and literary fiction. New Adult in all categories will be considered.

I am now open to submissions in upmarket women’s fiction and historical fiction. I’m looking for books with particularly well-developed characters and strong authorial voice. In historical fiction in particular I am particularly interested in books that bring the setting to life and that maintain balance between historical accuracy and strong plot choices. I am also very interested in mystery, fantasy, and occasionally romance approaches to these genres as well." - Please check the links above for more information. 



APPOINTMENT: 1/21 @ 9:00 am EST (check in all day)




Booking info:

PLEASE NOTE: The bidding DOES NOT open until 12 noon EST today (1/18). It will close at 8 pm EST on 1/19 or when the cap is reached.

This appointment will be capped at $30. The opening bid MUST start at $5 and every bid after that MUST be made in $2 increments (except the last) until the cap is reached or the bidding closes. 



Please include some kind of identification with your bid. Doesn't have to be your real name. 



*After bidding closes, I will post a comment with further directions for the winner.

**ANYONE with a complete manuscript that is un-agented can participate in this conference. The conference and contest are separate and they do not affect each other in any way. 

(Funds will be used for a local book donation. Thank you!)

35 comments:

  1. Well, I'll start. Good luck, everyone!
    $5

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Cross-bidding. $2
      Sarah Cannon

      Delete
    2. By which I mean $7. I promise I am not trying to be deliberately confusing to win the auction...or am I?

      Delete
  3. Ah, good. Well as long as it's not deliberate . . . ;)
    $9

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is, though. (Smack talk in good fun is OK at online auctions, right? :D )

    $11
    Sarah Cannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Saille, if you want to start on the second Pam one, I'll go against you until we build up. Depending on whether people are just waiting for the "kill" we might both get there. . . unless you were hoping for less than $30?

    I did see one person bidding against him/herself, which I respect (quite clever), but somehow seems like cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. $15

    Sarah, I'm contemplating. I'm bidding on another agent, as well, and am having to watch timing conflicts. I'm not available on some of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I was also bidding on Jenny, but, not surprisingly, she was quite popular, and I'm pretty sure she's no longer an option.

    $17

    ReplyDelete
  8. $19

    She's terrific, but doesn't agent what I write...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margie, should we all take that as $21, since you and I cross-bid? If so,
    $23

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just so we've established the rules, I think that $29 is a necessary bid, don't you?

    I didn't get into it, but there was a bit of contention on one of the Jenny Bent bidding zones. (not that anyone was mean or anything, but there was a person who threw the $29 out there after everyone was "done")

    I am quite curious to see how that turns out, but if we agree $29 is necessary, then we KNOW.

    Unless you're of the opinion that $29 isn't necessary? I'm quite curious to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can the final bid be more than $2?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just know it either has to be $1 or $3 b/c $30 ain't an odd number.

    I was figuring it'd be $1

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. We have to do the 29 and the next person does 30.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree. There was quite an overwhelming number of bids, so they may have just gotten confused on the numbering trying to get in that last bid.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sorry, that is fair right? I mean I can't just give up b/c I had to bid $29.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have no idea. I assumed you couldn't bid 2x in a row, but I may be off on that. How about this: I also say $30, and Cupid can sort it out. No hard feeling either way, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I requested clarification on the initial rules page. Guess we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tweeted to Cupid, too. Either way, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats whoever won. Her other two appointments are wide open right now. I have a $7 bid on one and nobody's bid yet on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Agreed. Would you like to start bidding on another of Pam's to even things out?
    And Margie too, can't leave her out.

    I would say good luck (b/c I do wish you well - you seem quite nice), but obviously I'd prefer to win.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm trying to figure out what's going on with this window of Jessica's first. I'm bidding on the only appointment I can keep with her. I work the other two nights.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Winner Sarah Hipple!!!

    Please email me and donate using the button on the blog!

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So you can bid against your own bid when it's the last bid. Otherwise, no one will want to make the second to last bid.

    And I said the last bid didn't have to be $2, so I'm letting the $3 dollar bids fly.

    Sorry for the confusion. When I was thinking about that before I was like "That won't be confusing." And of course it is. :)

    ReplyDelete