Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bouncer Interview with Tara Dairman!


Please welcome Bouncer, Tara Dairman!! Whenever I think of Tara, I'm immediately jealous because she's been to so many places, done so many cool things, and from seeing her crits, she really knows her stuff! I seriously can't wait to read her novel when it's released! Tara is repped by Ammi-Joan Paquette.




Hi, Tara! Please share a little about yourself:

I'm one of those folks who has always wanted to be a writer. I studied
creative writing as an undergrad at Dartmouth and spent my 20's in New
York, where I worked as a magazine editor and produced a couple of my
plays in festivals. Then in 2009, my husband and I quit our jobs and
took off on a two-year, 74-country honeymoon (during which I finished
writing my first novel). Now we live in Colorado, where I've cobbled
together a career out of writing, teaching, and freelance editing. I
love it.

Now tell us a little about your book(s) or what you like to write:

I love to write middle grade and young adult fiction. My first MG
novel, tentatively titled THE DELICIOUS DOUBLE LIFE OF GLADYS GATSBY,
will be published by Putnam/Penguin in 2014. I like to call it a
"humorous foodie adventure." :)

Here's some more info about it:

Gladys Gatsby has dreamed of becoming a restaurant critic for The New
York Times—she just didn’t expect to be assigned her first review at
age 11. Now, if she wants to meet her deadline and hang on to her
dream job, she’ll have to defy her fast-food-loving parents, cook her
way into the heart of her sixth-grade archenemy, and battle
Manhattan’s meanest maitre d’.

What MUST we read? And what's in your TBR pile?

My TBR pile is currently full of friends' manuscripts to beta-read,
but when that's done I've got ROOTLESS by my fellow Colorado author
Chris Howard and the second book in Catherynne Valente's FAIRYLAND
series on my shelf. Can't wait to read both!

What are those crumbs around your computer? And what is that music I hear?

Does tea make crumbs? :) I do love to have a big mug of tea by my side
when I'm writing. But I can't listen to music while working, I find it
far too distracting.

 Is it all about the pants or all about the outline?

A novel is such a big undertaking that I need at least a general
outline to keep from getting lost and overwhelmed. But I also like to
leave a good amount of room to play.

Any words of wisdom for our brave contest entrants?

I doubt I can share any advice that you haven't heard before. But no
matter how this contest goes for you, give yourself a pat on the back
just for getting here. You wrote a whole frickin' novel, and it's
ready to share with people--that's an incredible accomplishment!

Now give up your guilty pleasure!

Candy corn. YUM.

***

Thank you, Tara!

Thank you for reading. Comments and questions below...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious-can't wait to read about Gladys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara is just about the coolest person on the planet. She's also an incredible writer. She's ALSO an incredible critique partner. Sometimes I think she can make books better just by staring at them.

    So, hold on your pants!

    ReplyDelete