Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bouncer Interview with Anne Greenwood Brown!


Please welcome Bouncer, Anne Greenwood Brown! Anne was super awesome and very sweet to help me in last year's BSD event as a Bouncer. We had a lot of fun, and I'm so thrilled to have her back again this year! She's repped by Jacquie Flynn. Check out more on her books below. 




Hi, Anne! Please share a little about yourself: 

I am married to my high school sweetheart and together we have three above-average children. I'm super involved in Irish cultural events. My oldest daughter is leaving for college in the fall so I practice crying a lot.

Now tell us a little about your book(s) or what you like to write: 

I write YA fiction. The first book in my YA trilogy, LIES BENEATH, came out in June 2012, and book #2, DEEP BETRAYAL, comes out March 12, 2013. The third book, PROMISE BOUND, will follow next spring. The series is about a family of murderous mermaids on Lake Superior--it's a little dark, a little poetic, a little wet.  Right now, I'm working on a "stand alone" book currently titled PLAYING CARDS WITH SOPHOCLES (we'll see...).

What MUST we read? And what's in your TBR pile? 

A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY by John Irving is a "must" read. (It's old but one of those books you read over and over and over.) In my TBR pile there is PERSONAL EFFECTS by E.M. Kokie and TEN by Gretchen McNeil.

What are those crumbs around your computer? And what is that music I hear? 

Crumbs? What are you implying? The music you hear is probably Regina Spektor or Mumford & Sons….maybe Gaelic Storm.

Is it all about the pants or all about the outline? 

I'm an outliner. Big Time. Like, I actually crunch numbers to make sure the pacing is right. But that's just the big plot points. What happens to get me from point A to point B tends to be more pants-y. Dialogue is my sweet spot so I just let that part run to see where it goes.

Any words of wisdom for our brave contest entrants? 

This is just one step of the journey. Getting through a bouncer doesn't necessarily equal a publishing contract so--whatever happens--use this as a way to get constructive feedback and to push yourself just one step further toward your ultimate goal. Also--when writing your query make sure you focus on no more than 2-3 characters; highlight the conflict; don't give the ending away. 

Now give up your guilty pleasure! 

Half-n-half on my cereal. (It's not a daily event, but totally worth the occasional splurge.)

***

Thank you, Anne!

Thank you for reading! Questions and comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment